Packing to move to university halls – where to start?
We’ve put a list together to give you a head start, plus some handy tips to keep your move as stress-free as possible.
Make a list of items you use every day
Start making a list a few weeks before. You’re more likely to remember everything doing this, rather than trying to remember while out shopping. It’s a good idea to tick items off your list as you’ve bought and packed them too, so you don’t double up.
Check how much storage you have in your new room
What wardrobe and storage space do you have in your new room?
All rooms at The Warehouse Apartments have a large wardrobe and under-bed storage. You can always buy the odd thing once you’ve moved in. The Warehouse is located opposite a supermarket, and if you are traveling here from another country it might be cheaper than bringing everything with you.
Our recommended packing list:
The important stuff:
- Paperwork/documents – e.g., for accommodation, university, and student finance
For your bedroom:
- Bedding – Duvet, pillows, bedding sets, mattress protector
- Blankets/throws – make it homely!
- Decorations – photo frames and ornaments
- Plants – a brilliant way to promote wellbeing and keep your room looking fresh. If you’re not very green-fingered, why not try a low-maintenance succulent or even a faux plant?
- Posters and pins for your notice board
- Coat hangers
- Desk lamp
- Laundry basket
Electricals and things for uni:
- Charging cables
- Extension lead
- Hair dryer, straighteners, curlers
- Memory stick
- Notepad & stationery
- Post-it notes
For your bathroom:
- Shower gel
- Hand soap
- Toilet bleach
- Toilet roll
- Toothbrush & toothpaste (surprisingly easy to forget)
- Towels and bathmat
Things for your kitchen:
- Tupperware – Great for leftovers and saving money!
- Bottle/ can opener
- Chopping board
- Measuring jug
- Washing up liquid/sponges (Dishmatics are very handy)
- Tea towels
- Oven Gloves
- Bin bags
- Tin foil/cling film
- Cleaning products
- Recipe books
- Tea & coffee
- Milk (consider long-life)
- Cooking oil
- Chopped tomatoes – versatile for many different dishes!
- Sauces – Ketchup, mayonnaise, soy, BBQ…